The Federal Government has urged the Academic Staff Union of Universities, ASUU, to call off its six-month-old strike.
Adamu Adamu, the Minister of Education, urged ASUU to call off the strike and embrace dialogue.
Speaking at the 2022 police meeting on admissions to tertiary institutions in Nigeria held in Abuja, the minister said the strike should be called off in the interest of students.
According to Adamu, embracing dialogue is the only solution to the impasse.
He said: “I urge the leadership of tertiary institutions to partner with the Federal Government in its frantic efforts at restoring industrial harmony in tertiary institutions in Nigeria. It is clear that a stable academic calendar is required for quality education and development in Nigeria.
“I also seize this opportunity to appeal to the trade unions in the tertiary education sub-sector to, in the interest of the future of Nigeria, call off the perennial strike and embrace genuine dialogue as a solution to our problems.”
This is coming at a time President Muhammadu Buhari urged the union to consider the future of students and call off the ongoing industrial action.
President Muhammadu Buhari had, on Tuesday, directed the Minister of Education, Malam Adamu Adamu, to resolve the prolonged industrial action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) and other university-based unions.
The President gave the directive Tuesday after receiving briefings from the relevant government Ministries, Departments, and Agencies (MDAs) involved in the ongoing efforts to end the face-off with the university unions.
Buhari had summoned them to get more information on why the strike had persisted for too long.
ASUU had commenced one month warning strike on February 14, and other unions also joined them over the alleged inability of the federal government to meet up with their demands.
- 87The meeting between the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, and Nigerian students protesting the ongoing strike embarked by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) ended abruptly in Abuja on Monday, February 28, 2022, as the minister walked out on them. The meeting was called after the National Association of…
- 87President Muhammadu Buhari has given Adamu Adamu, minister of education, two weeks to resolve issues of contention regarding the strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU). The president gave the directive on Tuesday at a meeting with the minister and other stakeholders. According to sources at the meeting,…
- 84The Academic Staff Union of Universities branch at the Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU), Igbariam, Anambra State has stated it would not join the ongoing one-month industrial action embarked by the national body. Chairman of ASUU-COOU, Prof. Osita Chiaghanam said that the state-owned university would not be shut down because the…
- 83The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has accused the Minister of Labour and Employment, Dr. Chris Ngige, of insulting lecturers and spreading fake news on the ongoing industrial action by University teachers. ASUU president, Professor Emmanuel Osodeke, stated this on Thursday while appearing on a Channels Television programme, ‘Sunrise…
- 83The management of the University of Ibadan, Ibadan, as a result of the ongoing industrial action embarked upon by the Academic Staff Union of Universities ASUU, has closed down the institution until further notice. See full statement below: Management, at its meeting on Wednesday, 16 March, 2022, deliberated on…