Disturbed by the ongoing crisis in the Peoples Democratic Party over its 2023 governorship ticket in Delta state, young members of the party, on Wednesday, stormed the National Secretariat of the PDP to demand the resignation of its National Chairman, Senator Iyorchia Ayu.
The party supporters, acting under the aegis of Concerned Deltans for Good Governance, were at the Wadata Plaza, to register their displeasure over what they described as the refusal of the party chairman to obey an order of the Federal High Court which sacked Rt. Hon. Sheriff Oborevwori as the PDP standard bearer in next year’s governorship election in Delta.
Recall that the court order which was delivered by Justice Taiwo Taiwo declared Olorogun David Edevbie as the lawfully nominated and authentic candidate of the party.
It also directed the PDP to forward Edevbie’s name to the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, in addition to ordering INEC to accord him the full rights and privileges due to him as the rightful candidate of the party.
However, most of the protesters who trooped out en masse to demand the party’s compliance with Justice Taiwo’s ruling carried placards with inscriptions, such as “Ayu lacks the integrity to push PDP to victory”, “Obey the Abuja FHC judgement”, “BoT help Delta PDP before NWC kills the party” among others.
Addressing reporters during the protest, the leader of the group, Chris Anthony, accused Ayu of leading the party towards destruction.
He said, “There’s a burning issue in Delta state, and it’s about who is the rightful candidate of the PDP in the state.
“Everyone knows that the PDP in Delta is the majority party, but with the action of the National Chairman of the party, we are beginning to be convinced that Ayu is a mole in the party to trade the fortunes of the party to the opposition.
“We have seen Ayu not just as a mole, but also as an actor playing the script written by the opposition to actualise the emergence of an APC governor in Delta state.
“Ayu lacks the capacity to lead the PDP and so should honourably resign, because he has demonstrated gross incompetence in handling the affairs of the party. He should resign. Ayu should resign, because he cannot manage the party’s affairs well.
“We are talking about defending the democracy that thrives on the rule of law, but Ayu has willfully refused to obey a simple court judgment.”
- 94The National Chairman of our great Party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Sen. Dr. Iyorchia Ayu has officially resumed duties following his return from a short vacation abroad. Already, the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has been duly informed on the return and official resumption of duty by Dr. Ayu…
- 93The national chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party, Sen Iyorchia Ayu, has said the party is now ready to rescue Nigeria. He said this while declaring the party’s national convention open on Saturday. Ayu lamented the deteriorating standard of living in Nigeria as a result of bad government of the…
- 2023: PDP Convention To Hold In Abuja As Party Plans To Reveal Identities Of Disqualified Presidential Aspirants Monday93The national leadership of the Peoples Democratic Party has decided to hold its special national convention, where it will pick its presidential candidate, in Abuja, Sunday PUNCH has learnt. The National Publicity Secretary of the party, Mr. Debo Ologunagba, confirmed this to one of our correspondents on Saturday. “We have decided to…
- 92•As Okowa, Ayu, Sambo, Saraki, Oyinlola, Others Rally Support For Adeleke Ahead of the Saturday, July 16 Osun State governorship election, national leaders of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), on Thursday, stormed Osogbo, the State capital, and rallied support for the election of the party’s candidate, Senator Ademola…
- 91Ekiti Grassroots Movement (EGM) and Democratic Elite Movement (DEM), have alleged the National Working Committee of the People’s Democratic Party, PDP for aiding the former governor Fayose in wrecking what they described as the only alternative party to the existing ruling party, the All Progressive Congress in Ekiti…