#OduyoyeLecture: INSECURITY: Stop Knee-jerk Approach, Look Deep Down And Design Solutions, Wabara Urges FG
Senator (Dr.) Adolphus Wabara, Former President of the Senate, has urged the Federal government to stop the knee jerk approach towards tackling the insecurity challenges facing the country.
Wabara urged the government at the central to look deep down and design solutions. He made this assertion on Tuesday at the Babatunde Oduyoye Annual Birthday 7th Lecture Series 2021 in Ibadan, the Oyo state capital.
The lecture themed “Security and National Unity in Difficult Times” was delivered by Governor Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti state. Wabara who said his heart cut at the extent of violence being unleashed on citizens of Nigeria added that it was like there is violence and killings everywhere in the country.
His words: “Every morning when I have to open the pages of newspapers or read through posts on the social media, my heart cut at the extent of violence being unleashed on citizens of Nigeria.
“There are stories of killings, kidnapping, banditry, cattle rustling and herders’/farmers brouhaha from the North East, North West and North Central part of the country, the same way we are bombarded with stories of violence, armed robbery, kidnapping and herdsmen infractions from the South West, South East and South South. Its just like, everywhere you go, there is violence and killings.
“Besides, there have been growing agitations for self-determination from the South East and South West in recent years. In recent days, the news media was awashed with stories credited to the Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami (SAN), where he threatened that the Federal Government would declare a state of emergency in Anambra State, in view of the wanton killings taking place there.
“Well, my party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has promptly reacted and told the Federal Government to back off such thoughts. In the same vein, the Ohanaeze Ndigbo, the Afenifere, PANDEF and other nationality groups have spoken. “Rather than adopting the knee-jerk approach in tackling the myriads of security problems facing the country currently, the government at the centre needs to look deep down and design solutions.”
Wabara who also represented Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal of Sokoto congratulated Hon. Babatunde Oduyoye, for his commitment to our nation and for showing leadership by instituting this birthday lecture.
“We must remain very grateful to people like Hon. Babatunde Oduyoye, former Chief Whip of the Alliance for Democracy (AD) in the House of Representatives, who currently serves as the Special Adviser Strategy and Political Matters in the cabinet of Governor ‘Seyi Makinde of Oyo State.
“Once again, I congratulate Hon. Babatunde Oduyoye, simply called Babs, for his commitment to our nation and for showing leadership by instituting this birthday lecture.”
Dignitaries at the event were the chairman of the Nigerian Governors’ Forum (NGF) and Governor of Ekiti State, Dr. Kayode Fayemi; Oyo State governor, ‘Seyi Makinde, Former Senate President, Adolphus Wabara; Former Oyo State governor, Senator Rashidi Ladoja and his wife, Alhaja Mutiat Ladoja; Speaker, Oyo State House of Assembly, Rt Hon Adebo Ogundoyin; Former Chief of Staff to Oyo State governor, Chief Bisi Ilaka and other dignitaries.
- 76Oyo State Governor, Engr ‘Seyi Makinde, on Tuesday, described Hon. Babatunde Oduyoye, who is currently serving as his Special Adviser on Strategy and Political Matters, as a unifier. The governor gave the commendation while speaking at the Annual Birthday Lecture Series in commemoration of the birthday of the former…
- Oyo Remains Safest State In Nigeria - Makinde • Says My Administration's Four-Point Agenda Will Take Oyo To Greater Heights72Oyo State Governor, 'Seyi Makinde, declared, on Sunday, that his administration's four-point service agenda will take the state to greater heights. The governor, who spoke through his Chief of Staff, Hon. Segun Ogunwuyi, at the 32nd Anniversary Thanksgiving Service of the Victory International Church, Rehoboth Cathedral, Oluyole Estate, Ibadan,…
- 70Oyo State Governor, Engineer Seyi Makinde has sworn- in additional ten Commissioners screened by the Oyo State House of Assembly. While Swearing-in the commissioners at the Executive Council Chambers of the Governor’s Office, Ibadan, the Governor urged the commissioners to redouble their efforts in moving the state forward adding that…
- Oyo PDP Congress: Ibadan North Council Boss, Agba Egbe, Lauds Makinde, Party Faithfuls On Successful Process68Ibadan North Local government chairman, Agba Egbe, who participated in the just concluded congress exercise held at adamansigba sports complex, on Saturday, lauded the governor of oyo state, organizing committee and party members, towards making sure the exercise was a success. This was made known in a press release…
- 68Osun Governor Adegboyega Oyetola has ordered compulsory COVID-19 vaccination for all cabinet members, public servants, health workers and others in the State. Oyetola explained the directive is part of the measures to curb the spread of Coronavirus in the state. This was contained in a memo from the office of…