CRIME CONTROL: Soon, Police Will Recruit 20,000 Officers
The Inspector-General of Police (IGP), Usman Alkali Baba, has said that the Nigeria Police in its bid to ensure community safety, will soon commence recruitment of not fewer than 20,000 officers across the 774 local government areas of the federation very soon.
He stated this on Thursday during a one-day working visit to Katsina State.
IGP Alkali also disclosed that recruitment for community policing will go on simultaneously though without salary payment for the who are expected to be citizens who are already gainfully employed but they will be exposed to rigorous police duty training.
He made the disclosure while paying a courtesy call to Governor Aminu Bello Masari at the state government house on Thursday.
The IG further disclosed that from the support they are enjoying from the federal government, plans are underway to reinforce the command with what they need in terms of logistics and other equipments that are necessary to fight crime and criminality very soon.
While commending Governor Masari for the assistance and support given to the security agencies in the state, he, however, acknowledged that there is need for improvement and assured him that they are going to work hard to see that the situation improves greatly.
“With the support we are getting from the Federal Government, very soon we will reinforce the command with what they need in terms of logistics and other equipments necessary to fight crime and criminality.
“It is not just talk. It is practically in progress and we want to appeal to citizens that we are going to work hard to see that the citizens go about their lawful businesses
“I want to assure His Excellency (Governor Masari) that very soon, we are going to also start our recruitment process which has stopped for sometimes and we are ready to proceed with its friend, community policing, which we are going to do.
“We hope that the strength of the Nigerian Police will be enlarged and therefore we are also appealing to indigenes that we want to recruit from every local government.”
It is a directive from the President that we should recruit 10,000 for 2020 and 10,000 for 2021 and all the 774 LG will be represented and we are going to post back this policemen to their local government to come and fight crime.
“There’s no better person who knows the nook and cranny of an environment in a community than the person that lives in that community.
“There’s no better person that knows his neighbours, his relations, his friends in his community than a person who also lives in that community.
“While we are doing that, the door is opened for the recruitment of community policing officers even though it is not a paid employment.
“We are expecting able men and women who are willing to assist in crime control and prevention to come and work with us, assist us while they have their own employment.”
- I spent $88,521 on vulture, elephant intestine, lion’s skull to make sacrifice for petitioner’s success, convict tells Kwara court46
- 41Major CL Datong, who was abducted when bandits broke into the Nigerian Defence Academy (NDA) in Kaduna, last month, has regained freedom. Two senior officers were gunned down in the incident which happened on August 24, 2021. On Friday night, Deputy Director Army Public Relations 1 Division, Nigerian Army,…
- 40Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Adeyemo, popularly known as Sunday Igboho, has expressed confidence in gaining freedom if returned to Nigeria by Benin Republic. In leaked audio obtained by The PUNCH and confirmed by multiple sources, Igboho said he does not mind being jailed like Nnamdi Kanu. He alleged that he…
- Passion To Contribute My Quota To Nigeria's Development Made Me Institute Annual Lecture Series - Oduyoye38The Special Adviser Political Matters and Strategy to Governor of Oyo state, Hon Babatunde Oduyoye has stated the reason behind organising the Babatunde Oduyoye Annual Birthday Lecture Series. Oduyoye who gave the welcome address at the 7th Babatunde Oduyoye Annual Birthday Lecture Series, on Tuesday, in Ibadan, the Oyo…
- 35The inspector-general of police, IGP Alkali Baba, has deployed 34,587 personnel for the Anambra State gubernatorial election slated for November 6, 2021. Speaking at a meeting with various state police commissioners and heads of formations in Abuja on Thursday, the IGP said three helicopters will also be deployed for surveillance…